Candy!!

Candy, also called sweets (British English) or lollies (Australian EnglishNew Zealand English)

Is February (Valentine’s Day) the month for candy? Or is it October (Halloween)? Or is every month, the month for candy? ๐Ÿ˜

One chart I reviewed showed that just before Halloween was the busiest week for candy sales, followed by just before Christmas. The week before Valentine’s Day came in third. By the way, the word, “candy,” comes from a shortening of “candied sugar.” You may recognize how close this phrase is to sugar cane.

Did you know that the chocolate market in the U.S. is almost 50 billion dollars!!! I’m sure you know that chocolate comes from the beans of the cacao tree (interesting how close in spelling cacao and cocoa are, eh?). The Aztecs called it “xocolatl.” The roasted beans are bitter – apparently, it took Europeans to add various types of sugar to make it taste the way it does today. But if you eat dark chocolate, you can still taste some of the bitter flavor. Why? Because dark chocolate has more cocoa in it than milk chocolate. Many researchers say that dark chocolate also has more antioxidants than regular chocolate.

Which is why it is (allegedly) good for you!! Yippee!

So, enjoy your February, eating for your health๐Ÿซ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿซ!

7 thoughts on “Candy!!”

    • Chocolate has Theobromine and caffeine which is a heart stimulator, they can’t metabolize either one so it causes heart failure. If the eyeballs were milk chocolate that is why there was no problem as milk chocolate has less cocoa than dark chocolate. You asked ๐Ÿ™‚

      Reply
      • Ah! Thank you for the chemical reasons! And, you’re right – I’m sure that the eyeballs were milk chocolate.
        Too bad that dogs don’t know that chocolate isn’t good for them (as opposed to people . . . haha).

        Reply
  1. When touring Peru a few years ago we visited a chocolate factory and learned about the process of growing, harvesting, and roasting cacao, and eventually turning it into chocolate. In Hawaii we actually tried the flesh of cacao before it was roasted. Tasted likely a tart jelly!

    Reply
  2. Wellllll, you sealed the deal for me. Dark chocolate is โ€œessentiallyโ€ health food, so Iโ€™m indulging!! ๐Ÿ˜‹

    Reply
  3. Apologies for my delay in responding to your awesome comments – I was busy looking for more dark chocolate! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Gina – very nice to “hear” from you! You know I only want my friends and family to be healthy. Being a words person, I am still working through – should I say “eat healthy” or “eat healthily” (the latter is correct, but . . . does anyone say that??)
    Eric – what an awesome experience to see how cacao is processed and how interesting to experience cacao before it becomes cocoa! I am now thinking that there are international tours about chocolate. Hmm . . . a bucket list item???
    Debbie, you are so right about chocolate being bad for pets. But I’m curious as to why? Too much something, I’m guessing. Here is a (forturnately) funny story about that topic: I had a bowl of chocolate “eyeballs” to hand out for Halloween on the dining room table. After handing out several of these goodies, I put the bowl back on the dining room table for a few minutes while I did something else, waiting for the doorbell to ring again. When I got back to the front door, I saw that the remaining eyeballs were all over the dining room floor, but no . . . not all of them. At least half of them were gone. Where? In my dog’s stomach, apparently. FOIL, included! GEEZ! I was totally panicked, but I watched Dani over the next several hours and noticed . . . nothing. What an iron stomach. I would NOT count on this lucky story happening, so heed Debbie’s advice.

    Reply
  4. We had the same problem with our dog! A number of years ago, as people gave us Christmas gifts, we put them under the tree, but didn’t open them. There were several baskets with food and chocolate. We came home one night to find all of the food gifts open and the chocolates gone. Our dog, Carlie, had left all of the savory snacks intact and had eaten the chocolate. We called the poison control hotline for pets and then had to get out a calculator to figure out how much chocolate was in each package versus how much she weighed. It was quite the math problem. Ultimately, we decided she’d be okay, and we didn’t go to the emergency vet, but she certainly didn’t feel well for a day or two.

    Reply

Leave a Comment